Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.

I am publishing a book and I took some photos of ceramic

Customer Question

I am publishing a book and I took some photos of ceramic tiles that were made in 1939 by the NYA at La Villita, a project my grandfather Maury Maverick headed. The office staff allowed me into the room where they were and knew I was taking photos. There were no artist signatures. They are displayed to the public. Can I publish these if they were not copyrighted or if they were how do I find out? Do I need to ask anyone's permission?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

YES. The ceramic tiles of that time frame would be considered in the "Public Domain" under copyright laws. Works that are in the public domain may be re-created without permission or license.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,