Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  28 Years In General Practice,
68197583

What is the difference between an actual lawyer and a legal

Customer Question

What is the difference between an actual lawyer and a legal consultant?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Unfortunately, a "legal consultant" is a very vague term, some attorneys act as consultants as part of their practice.

But if you want an actual licensed attorney - you will want to check your state bar association and ensure that the professional you are considering is licensed with them. You can do a lookup to see whether or not the person is currently licensed (or has ever been licensed - the state bar has records for all attorneys that are licensed, suspended, disbarred, and deceased).

If they are licensed in another state but are "consulting" in your state, you should be able to find their bar record in that state.

There are some non-attorney "legal consultants" that provide professional legal services - this runs a very thin line with "practicing law without a license" and while I do not want to disparage anyone's abilities, be very cautious with this particular group of individuals, many are good at filling out forms, but they do not have the greater background behind why the forms need to be completed, so they can unintentionally create more problems for their customers. But on the other hand, they can provide very low cost services to customers for very simple legal proceedings.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a directory were I can find recently retired attorneys in PA and DC with their contact info?

Not that I am aware of, but you can use the bar association directories for each of those. That will have contact information.

You can also try to utilize attorney publications (so local bar association newsletters) which often carry news articles celebrating attorney's retirements, etc.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you have to be a member to access those directories? Do you have links to those directories? Or examples of newsletters?

No, the Bar Association Directory for Pennsylvania is http://www.pabar.org/ and for DC: https://www.dcbar.org/membership/find-a-member.cfm. You can also use free third party directories such as www.AVVO.com (it usually tends to be more user friendly, but I suspect most retired attorneys are going to be less likely to keep updated profiles).

You will contact local (such as County) bar associations for newsletters, some make them available to the public, others charge a fee.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you cannot provide a better answer, can you please opt out so that some one else may answer the question.No offense, I tried searching online like you suggested, but it did not provide any results.

No problem. Good luck to you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 6 months ago.

I am a different attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you. Attorneys must be licensed to provide any type of legal advice or representation. Anyone can call themselves a consultant in any area of business. However, the laws of each State have vert specific codes of conduct that dictate the type of credentials one would need to hold themselves out as a legal consultant. So if you can tell me where you are seeing this term and how is being used and the State where it is being used we can ascertain who would have the legal right to hold themselves out as legal consultants? For the most I am only aware of people being able to use such terminology only if they are actually licensed or retired from the practice of law.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Specifically in in DC and pennsylvania.Is there a directory where I can find retired lawyers from those states?

Each State retains a list through their Bar Association of the attorney that they licensed. You can check the directory online. It will show the status of any person that was licensed. Some of us a re licensed in more than one jurisdiction and Federal court. They can be in active practice, inactive, suspended, disbarred or retired. You are specifically interested in DC and PA?

This is or DC https://www.dcbar.org/membership/find-a-member.cfm

This is for PA http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Pennsylvania-Bar-Associations.htm

If you do not find them you can also call the State Bar to see if for some reason they are not showing up, for example a name change.

You can check in Illinois and see that Barack Obama is inactive.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my wok I would appreciate. The Attorneys only receive credit for their work and time if the customer rates them positively. Thank you for your consideration. You do not need to provide a negative rating for a refund.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the difference between inactive and retired? Especially in dc and penn?

Correction Obama changed his status to retired.

Full Licensed Name: Barack Hussein Obama

Full Former name(s): None

Date of Admission as Lawyer
by Illinois Supreme Court:
December 17, 1991

Registered Business Address:Not available online

Registered Business Phone: Not available online

Illinois Registration Status: Retired - not authorized to practice law or provide pro bono services - Last Registered Year: 2008

Malpractice Insurance:
(Current as of date of registration;
consult attorney for further information)
No malpractice report required as attorney is retired.

https://www.iardc.org/ldetail.asp?id=435744384

Inactive means that you can call yourself a licensed attorney but you are not engaged on the active practice of law in that jurisdiction. Retired mean that you no longer have a license to practice in that State. You cannot hold yourself out as licensed. You can say that you are a JD as you have a degree in law.

For PA:

"§ 93.146. Selection of retired or inactive status and resumption of active status.

(a) Retired Status: Enforcement Rule 219(i) provides that:

(1) An attorney who has retired shall file with the Attorney Registration Office Form DB-27 (Application for Retirement).

(2) Upon the transmission of the application from the Attorney Registration Office to the Supreme Court, the Court shall enter an order transferring the attorney to retired status, and the attorney shall no longer be eligible to practice law.

(3) The retired attorney will be relieved from the payment of the fee specified in § 93.141 (relating to annual registration).

(4) Chapter 91 Subchapter E (relating to formerly admitted attorneys) shall not be applicable to the formerly admitted attorney unless ordered by the Supreme Court in connection with the entry of an order of suspension or disbarment under another provision of the Enforcement Rules.

(5) An attorney on retired status for three years or less may be reinstated in the same manner as an inactive attorney, by filing a Form DB-29 (Application for Resumption of Active Status), except that the retired attorney shall pay the annual active fee for the three most recent years or such shorter period in which the attorney was on retired status instead of the amounts required to be paid by an inactive attorney seeking reinstatement.

(6) The Chief Justice may delegate the processing and entry of orders under this subsection to the Prothonotary.

(b) Inactive Status. Enforcement Rule 219(j) provides that:

(1) An attorney who is not engaged in practice in Pennsylvania, has sold his or her practice pursuant to Rule 1.17 of the Pennsylvania Rules of Professional Conduct, or is not required by virtue of his or her practice elsewhere to maintain active licensure in the Commonwealth may request inactive status or continue that status once assumed. The attorney shall file either the annual form required by § 93.142(b) and request inactive status or file Form DB-28 (Notice of Voluntary Assumption of Inactive Status). The attorney shall be removed from the roll of those classified as active until and unless such inactive attorney makes a request under paragraph (3) of this section for an administrative return to active status and satisfies all conditions precedent to the grant of such request; or files a petition for reinstatement under § 89.273(b) (relating to procedure for reinstatement of an attorney who has been on inactive status for more than three years, or who is on inactive status and had not been on active status at any time within the prior three years) and is granted reinstatement pursuant to the provisions of § 89.273(b) of these rules.

(2) An inactive attorney under this subsection (b) shall continue to file the annual form required by § 93.142(b) and shall pay an annual fee of $70.00. Noncompliance with this provision will result in the inactive attorney incurring late payment penalites, incurring a collection fee for any check in payment that has been returned to the Board unpaid, and being placed on administrative suspension in accordance with the provisions of § 93.144.

(3) Administrative Change in Status from Inactive Status to Active Status: An attorney on inactive status may request resumption of active status by filing Form DB-29 (Application for Resumption of Active Status) with the Attorney Registration Office. Resumption of active status shall be granted unless the inactive attorney is subject to an outstanding order of suspension or disbarment, unless the inactive attorney has sold his or her practice pursuant to Rule 1.17 of the Pennsylvania Rules of Professional Conduct (see § 89.273(b)), unless the inactive status has been in effect for more than three years, or unless the inactive attorney had not been on active status at any time within the preceding three years (see § 89.273(b)), upon the payment of:

(i) the active fee for the registration year in which the application for resumption of active status is made or the difference between the active fee and the inactive fee that has been paid for that year; and

(ii) any collection fee or late payment penalty that may have been assessed pursuant to § 93.144 of these rules, prior to the inactive attorney’s request for resumption of active status.

Where a check in payment of the fees and penalties has been returned to the Board unpaid, the Attorney Registration Office shall immediately return the attorney to inactive status, and the arrears shall not be deemed to have been paid until a collection fee, as established by the Board under § 93.142(b)(2), shall also have been paid.

Official Note

The Note to Enforcement Rule 219(j) explains that § 93.145 (relating to reinstatement of administratively suspended attorneys) and § 93.146 (relating to resumption of active status by retired or inactive attorneys) do not apply if, on the date of the filing of the request for reinstatement, the formerly admitted attorney has not been on active status at any time within the preceding three years. See § 89.273(e)(1).

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/204/chapter93/s93.146.html

DC https://www.dcbar.org/membership/classes-of-membership.cfm

DC also has:

"Special Legal Consultants (SLC)

Any person licensed by the District of Columbia Court of Appeals as a Special Legal Consultant shall be treated for purposes of Article III as an active member and shall be required to pay the same membership dues as an active member. Active membership dues for the year 2016–2017 are $295." https://www.dcbar.org/membership/classes-of-membership.cfm

https://www.dcbar.org/membership/classes-of-membership.cfm

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Is there a directory where I can find retired lawyers? (Not just inactive)

You may have missed my correction. I showed you that Obama is retired. All attorneys that had a state license are listed.

Who are you looking for and maybe I can help. As I also stated if nothing is coming you would need to call the Bar directly to see if there was a name change or other reason why there is not status. You can give me the name if privately under additional services.

Yes, all of them.

You can give me the name and I will have the site delete it.

A directory that provides each jurisdictions directory http://www.lawyerlegion.com/promote-your-law-practice/directories-by-state-bar/

I have answered your questions in good faith. Thank you for using JA!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I think you misunderstood me. I am trying to find a lawyer in DC or PA that is retired.

No, I think you misunderstood me. I am trying to find a lawyer in DC or PA that is retired. I completely understand your question.

All attorneys are listed. All inactive, active AND RETIRED attorneys are in the State Bar data base where they received their license.

If you cannot find them in the online directory you would contact the Bar for that Jurisdiction and they will tell why retired status might not be showing up. I provided an example of the Illinois directory which clearly shows President Obama is retired.

Look below I will copy it again:

Full Former name(s): None

Date of Admission as Lawyer
by Illinois Supreme Court:
December 17, 1991

Malpractice Insurance:
(Current as of date of registration;
consult attorney for further information) No malpractice report required as attorney is retired.

If they are no coming up on the State data base under any status that is an issue.

Once we are licensed the State keeps our records and status.

Do you want me to check on this person? If they are not showing up you will want to call and inquire if in fact they were ever licensed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do I find a lawyer's bar number

Their Bar number is ***** through the Bar Association. As a general rule we only add our number to legal pleadings so if this attorney was representing someone in court they would add their bar number. Otherwise you need to ask them or ask the Bar.

If you are not finding this person they may never have been a licensed attorney. You will want to call both PA and DC to verify this. The Bar is required to to disclose this to you if you make an inquiry. If you want to give me the name I would be happy to check for you.

Thank you for using JA!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How is an arrest warrant issued in maryland. Where can the form be found?
You are asking a new question before rating the first question. I can answer a follow up question once I receive a positive rating. It appears you are somewhat familiar with site as I see you have asked other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a follow up question on the same situation. I promise that I will rate as soon as you answer the following question.Can someone be subpoenaed to answer questions from a private investigator in maryland? And in what context? I am asking without going to court to testify?

The problem may be in the definition of a "follow up question". Please do not hesitate to contact customer service so they can explain the terms of service that may be confusing you. Here is the contact information for customer service:

US/Canada 1-***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

International

Australia 1800-679-634

New Zealand 0800-452-621

United Kingdom 0***-***-****

The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

It would be also be my pleasure to answer a follow up question to the original question:

1. What is the difference between an actual lawyer and a legal consultant?

And your next question on where to look up Attorneys

2. Specifically in in DC and pennsylvania. Is there a directory where I can find retired lawyers from those states?

And the follow up to that one question:

3. And how do I find a lawyer's bar number.

4. Ok. Is there a directory where I can find retired lawyers? (Not just inactive)

Now you are asking: How is an arrest warrant issued in maryland. Where can the form be found? Can someone be subpoenaed to answer questions from a private investigator in maryland? And in what context? I am asking without going to court to testify?