Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law

I need to apply for copyright for the lyrics and one for the

Customer Question

I need to apply for copyright for the lyrics and one for the music. Base on the words that were given to me ( I know you may not be able to advise because you havent seen the words) I don't want to do co-writer because that's not what is was. But if you turned words into lyrics would I have to share copyrights with this person for the lyrics? We never worked together on the song.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they wrote the words, they do not have to be co-writer if you redid the work, but they will have to sign a release as work for hire and if not they could make a claim against you as co owner of the copyright. So, you need to work out a written agreement now, even if she did not do the arrangement but she just provided the words. I would suggest paying her some nominal amount like 5% royalty for any sales for her written agreement to sell you any share of copyright rights she may have in the work.