Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law

Please confirm my understanding that an artist retains

Customer Question

Please confirm my understanding that an artist retains copyrights of an original work, even after the work has been sold (with transfer of title). And that such rights needn't be formalized in writing in conjunction with the transaction.
And the same question is posed with respect to IP.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unless the artist gives written release of his copyrights the artist and buyer share rights in the work. The buyer has a right to display the work they purchased and the buyer can even display it in public or for commercial purposes without infringing on the artist's rights (absent some written restriction in the transfer of title). The buyer cannot reproduce the work, that would infringe on the artist's rights. The buyer can sell the work and transfer his rights to a new buyer. The artist can make other copies of the work to sell. The artist has a right to display the work in commerce as well.