Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law

I'm about to launch a web site featuring a 35 minute video.

Customer Question

I'm about to launch a web site featuring a 35 minute video .
I want to copyright the video, its contents, names of characters, script and more importantly the concept so others cannot make similar videos or films without my permission.
This is basically a high production short film. But no one else has done anything like this.
This may sound silly but its a cat video of kittens in full uniforms playing soccer with voice overs, special effects, storyline,original script, original character names and so on.
My concerns are:
Can others make similar videos/films with this concept?
Can I do the copyright myself or do I need an attorney?
What is the best way to protect this?
I asked my friend who is a criminal attorney to help but he was no help at all.
The idea may seem silly and a little hard to grasp without actually weeing the work. But it is indeed extremely entertaining and spent years working on it.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can prevent someone from copying your video and your script with a copyright, but the idea in general you cannot protect someone from doing something similar. As far as characters, you would have to seek to trademark the characters to protect anyone from using those names. You can file a copyright of the video and script at yourself. You can also file your trademark on each of your character names at (but trademarks are not cheap and it would be almost $500 per character trademark).
The best way is to copyright the video and script separately, but trademarks should be used only if you have unique character names you will be using on other ventures and have a high profitability for marketing purposes.