Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association

I wrote many articles as the editor of a dog rescue group

Customer Question

I wrote many articles as the editor of a dog rescue group monthly newsletter. When there was strife between the two founders of the group, one of the founders took it upon herself to delete the other founder, the other founder's husband, and my name from the website and all of this history of the website. Hence, all my writing disappeared. My friend, the founder who was deleted along with myself, has started a new rescue. Can I reuse my articles for the new rescue.
In other words, who does the copyright belong to in this situation? I do not want to step on anyone's toes. But the articles no longer exist anywhere but in my own hardcopy files. Are they mine?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I am also a former dog rescuer so appreciate the work that you are doing.

You own the copyright to those articles unless you have signed something giving the rescue group the copyright. I think you are fine to go ahead and use your work as you see fit, including republishing those past articles.

Please let me know if this is not clear or if you have any questions about this.