Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I am not an established writer currently writing a movie

Customer Question

I am not an established writer currently writing a movie script based of a novel that I did not right. After I finish I may want to send it out to see if I can get it turned into a movie. Are there any legal things that I should be aware of before I send it somewhere?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. You will want to consider first having your work registered. You can do that with Writers Guild Of America for a fair price. It will protect your work from copyright infringement. Here is a link to WG West but you can also use WG East. It makes no difference.

Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Once your work is registered you will get a receipt back for the same. You also may want to consider contacting a director, producer, publisher directly before you send as most will not take an "unsolicited" manuscript. And in that regard, I suggest you would want them to agree to a Non Disclosure before you submit it even with it being registered.

Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

A non disclosure simple says that any information revealed to them in this regard or in regard to your writing project Shall never be disclosed to anyone without your written permission. Also when you submit you will want to note that your work is registered with the Writer's Guild