Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

As an engr I was confronted with a problem (detecting

Customer Question

As an engr I was confronted with a problem (detecting different kinds of vehicles), found what might be a workable device to do the job, the co. who made it, provided me with sample devices, I tested my application, it worked. I published my results in a nat'l prof magazine (rec'd letters from all over the world). The co. took the idea and ran with it, manufacturing the device commercially and sold millions of them. An I owed something for my idea?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 9 months ago.

hello

that depends on your relationship with the company, were they your employer at the time?

if you developed the technology/device/method etc. that relates to the scope of your employment (i.e. similar subject matter) while you were employed by the company or using company resources then it is almost certainly owned by the company and you would not be owed anything unless they promised you something in exchange for it (i.e. you have a contract/agreement of some kind). Virtually all employers have employment agreements that cover intellectual property etc. created by their employees and state that they own anything developed by their employees that relates to the scope of employment or business of the employer. If you were not an employee when you developed it then the answer is more complicated/uncertain.