P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.

Would i be able to open a restaurant with the waitstaff

Customer Question

Would i be able to open a restaurant with the waitstaff dressed in store bought superhero outfits? Would they be able to do a skit?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I would like to play theme music when the superhero maybe be doing a skit i.e. Batman
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the IP Attorney about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

The problem you face is that you need a "license" to use Batman...and any other "superhero" who is protected by "copyright" laws.

Under US copyright laws, you need permission from the owner of the copyright before using a copyright image or facsimile of character for commercial purposes.

If you did not obtain permission (license) then you could be sued for copyright infringement.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can do this to promote your business, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding