Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed and Experienced Attorney.
26296561

I would like to make 2 piece sign owners to hang outside of

Customer Question

Hi! I would like to make 2 piece sign for business owners to hang outside of their door that says indicates the type of payment they accept. The first sign will say "We gladly accept all major credit cards" and the second sign will show the logos of the top 4 major credit card companies (Visa, MC, Discover, AMEX). Each of these companies welcome the use of 'logo acceptance' but I would like to sell my sign. My fear is that I will be unable to make a profit by selling something with their logos. My question: Can I sell online (ie Amazon, Ebay) the "We gladly accept all major credit cards" sign and state that it comes with a free matching sign that shows all 4 major credit card companies? So I'm really only profiting on the 1st sign and technically not on the 2nd sign with the logos. Thank you!
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, the only way to use trademarked logos is with a license from the credit card company that has the trademark on the logo, regardless whether the sign is sold or given away for free.

Also, it is important to consider the fact that credit card companies provide such signage for free to the merchants who accept credit cards.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positive lyrate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.