Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I am an author writing my third book. If interested check

Customer Question

I am an author writing my third book. If interested check out the first two on amazon.com/books From the Smitten Heart, and Transparent in Cloud and Flame. These are meditation books. The third book is called His Loved One From the Beginning, and, as with the other two books I will be using photos. My question is whether four of the photos I plan to use are royalty free. I will attach them. One is a photo of Michael Angelo's Pietá. I found it on Google Images. Another is called Hide In Her Love, and is a photo of Mary and the infant Jesus. I found it on a site called Gaze On Jesus. I blogged on their site asking who created (owned) the image. No luck. A third one I got from Google Images with the tag of Images of the assumption of Mary-0-Swords of Truth. The last one is also a Google Image of the Virgin of Guadalupe. I especially want the photo called Hide In Her Love, but am very hesitant to use it. /Users/janemariesc/Desktop/michelangelo7.JPG/Users/janemariesc/Desktop/Gaze on Jesus.webarchive/Users/janemariesc/Desktop/Unknown.jpeg/Users/janemariesc/Desktop/images-1.jpeg
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unfortunately, we have no way of checking to see if a photograph is copyrighted. That's because a copyright is automatically created when a photograph is taken.

I can explain how to find photographs that are available for use, both at Google and other sites, would that be sufficient?