Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Patent Bar Certified
12711280

I want to create my own curriculum and I want to patent the

Customer Question

Hi, I want to create my own curriculum and I want to patent the name...and the curriculum
JA: Intellectual property law can be complex. Fortunately, the attorneys we work with can answer any questions you have about patents, and I'd like to match you with the person who's the best fit.
Customer: thanks
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I teach for the city. (NYC) I want to create a curriculum but want to get the name down as mine fast before someone else does
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the IP Attorney about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed IP attorney with over a dozen years of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

I bring you good news. You can enjoy national IP protection for far less expense and headache than going through a patent application process. Moreover, generally speaking, a curriculum is not an item that can be patented any.

Here is what you need to do:

- You need to trademark the name of this curriculum. This can be down without the assistance of an attorney on the Trademark Office website. They have an online filing system (TEAS) that allows you to seek trademark protection and the filing fee is approximately ($300). EX: It can cost well over $10,000 to get a patent. Before you file your trademark application, you need to perform a trademark search on the same site. It is a key word search like google. Make sure that the name is ***** ***** trademarked (which would preclude you from seeking and receiving protection). The system will walk you through the filing process. It normally take about 6-9 months for it to become registered after filing; and

- You need to copyright the curriculum itself. This is relatively easy as well. You simply register as a user on the US Copyright Office website. You have a pdf of your curriculum, and upload it to the site. You fill in your contact information and what the attachment relates to in the process. It costs less than $30 to file for copyright protection and you will normally receive your copyright within 6 months from filing.

You can do both of these yourself and save yourself some money and time.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings bar on your end so I can receive credit from my response.

Best wishes going forward!

Did you have any other questions or comments?

Did you have any other questions? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you!! You've answered my question.Best, *****
Thank you. If you don't mind, please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes!

Pam, I hope all is well this morning. Just wanted to give you a heads up that the positive rating has not gone through. I wanted to let you know in the event you did rate my positively so we could correct any issue since it has not registered yet. Thanks