LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  I have more than 25 years experience in the practice of law.
15277592

Can I use pictures from the internet in making a video to

Customer Question

Can I use pictures from the internet in making a video to post on youtube.For example, if I am making a video talking about the history of World War 2 and I use photos from World War 2, is that copyright infringement?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, it would be the violation of the owner of the picture's copyright for you to use the photo in another production that you make unless you get the advanced written permission of the owner of that photo.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where can I go to find copyright free images and videos?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Honestly, I would not have any idea---if what you are looking for is free stuff. I know there are sites where you can buy photos for re-use but there are no free sites where you just go and get photos free of all copyright. Here is one of the larger sites where you can for a fee buy photos for re-use that will not result in copyright infringement because the sites have either bought the copyright or have an agreement with the copyright holder. http://www.istockphoto.com/ You don't have to spend a lot of money necessarily, and these paid for photos will insure your safety when you post to Youtube.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug