Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

If an individual is an incarcerated Felon and has written an

Customer Question

If an individual is an incarcerated Felon and has written an unpublished biography about himself is the copyright law enforced
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Since 1979 when the Copyright laws were rewritten by US Congress, no one has to register their written works any longer with the US Copyright office. An author must list his name and the year with the symbol C wrapped in a circle under the title and the work is Copyrighted under US law. A felon is included in this law and has the same rights to sue in a civil lawsuit if someone steals his work. However, if there are victims of the felon's crimes alive who read the work they can sue the felon for the profits as part of the damages of the crime that was committed against them. This is why many notorious killers have not written books about their lives (Son of Sam, etc) - because the law will basically give any profits they make over to their victims. So, depending upon how notorious or famous the crimes of the felon you are asking about are, the felon may get published but may end up seeing very little to nothing from the royalties from any such publication.

-

I hope that helps. Please press a positive rating above so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the rating section above, so I really do appreciate it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY

Hello again --

-

Are there any further questions that I can answer for you on these issues? I am happy to answer any follow up questions or concerns that you may have. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star ratings section so that I will be paid for my time assisting you? We do not receive paychecks and are paid only if you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above in the ratings section. While it may have been just an oversight on your part to review the answer and leave without pressing a positive rating above, the website keeps your entire payment as profit and pays the expert nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth star or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. Also, please note that even when you press a positive rating, your question will not close and you can return for another 6 months to ask additional follow up questions for no additional charge.

-

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!