Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law

I own and operate a business that provides a similar service

Customer Question

Hello there,
My name is ***** ***** I own and operate a business that provides a similar service to another local business. He, the owner of the other business is trying to tell me that I cannot use similar terminology within my website (stating that it is plagiarism). He is attempting to tell me that I must be unique otherwise potential clients will be confused between the two like businesses. He is also stating to the rest of the local folks within the same spectrum that they cannot use particular terms in similar services. Particularly the terms "Aurora Portraits" and Aurora Chasers. That they (he and his wife) have been forced into hiring a Intellectual Property Rights attorney. The simple thing we locals are seeing is someone that is trying to corner his market as his pending a trademark. I am trying to seek some clarification as I have had no intent myself, nor others for this rampage that was suddenly attacked in PM's and openly over facebook. Any suggestions?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is he using these terms descriptively (that is, not as the name of his business or a slogan for his business)? Or is he actually using it as a business name?

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?