Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

Got an offer from my HK partnet on a deal with Apple

Customer Question

got an offer from my HK partnet on a deal with Apple earpods, i checked them out and they're 100% real,
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: is there a problem importing them?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: just need the law on this, do i need to be a apple authorized importer for cheap accessories or not?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the IP Attorney about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You do not need to be an authorized importer, but Apple diligently pursues its trademark rights, so you need to have the proper documentation that the product is an original product and as long as it is original, they cannot stop you for selling the items. You need to insist on receiving proof of authenticity and have a copy of that in with the shipment to avoid issues.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tnx for the quick reply,
The place we bought it from in HK is not apple and cannot provide us a letter to proof it's original But we tested and cracked open many from random boxes and compared many different things to test it, all proved 100% original, but I'm afraid to import them and loos it in customs because no paperwork.
Thank you for your reply.
If you do not have proof in the paperwork, you run the risk of the shipment will be seized and you will not get it back because you cannot prove they are original and Apple will claim trademark infringement.