legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

If i buy cloth with a team logo and make something out of

Customer Question

If i buy cloth with a team logo and make something out of it, can I sell it at street fairs without being licensed
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Any trademark insignia needs a licensing agreement between the individual and the trademark; this is so the trademark holder is compensated for the use of their property (ie the logo).

They often have restrictions on what type of items may contain the logo (ie whether it can promote alcohol, gun issues, etc)

More information here:

If interested in pursuing it is best to hire an attorney to help negotiate the terms of the agreement; otherwise if one proceeds without an attorney one would contact the company's legal department or their licensing department.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought that by purchasing the cloth they were compensated as it cost more because of the licensing

But the cloth that the logo was on- the company only gave permission for the logo to be on that particular piece of cloth, to be used in the condition it was in.

Most trademarks will, as part of the licensing agreement, have a code of conduct, and will require approval of the particular use (ie approval of the item to be made; approval of any additional art work, etc)

I'm sorry; I am not set up right now to handle phone calls. If you would like to continue on this page, I will definitely do my best to get you the needed information. Please let me know if you would like to continue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
cancel phone call please thank you

There is a first sale doctrine that can exempt designers from trademark infringement if the appropriate disclaimers re: non association are disclosed; however, based on my research, most will negotiate for a license because otherwise it often results in the corporation filing for injunctive relief and damages, and then one must defend that - which can rack up substantial legal fees.

However, most bolts will state that it is for home use only and not for commercial use- and that is where the liability comes in.

For example, the trademark grants that company the right to dis/approve which items contain their legal face so to speak (their trademark) so they can determine which items bear the logo, and the quality of those items.

I did find this article that explains it in detail here

Checking in on the above;

Hopefully you were able to review the information.

Thank you for using JA!