Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed attorney in private practice.

My question is: I work large medical manufacturer here in

Customer Question

Hi, my question is: I work for a large medical manufacturer here in the US. If I was going to create a power-point presentation for both internal and external customer use and wanted to include x-ray images in my power point presentation form an article/Journal I have purchased what are the rules for using the de-identified images from article in my PPT?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

De-identified data is health information that does not identify an individual and with respect to which there is no reasonable basis to believe that the information can be used to identify an individual is not individually identifiable health information.

De-identified data may be used in any way a publisher wants as it does not violate privacy laws.

Before using the data however, one wants to run the de-identified data by an expert as defined by HIPAA (see HERE) to ensure that the data really is de-identified.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.