Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
93452170

Is Deep River Blues protected by copyright or is it in

Customer Question

Is Deep River Blues protected by copyright or is it in public domain? I want to make a recording of my original songs and add Deep River Blues as a traditional song.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 6 months ago.

My research shows me that this song was published in 1964. In order to qualify as public domain, a song would need to be from 1922 or earlier. So this song WOULD NOT be classified as public domain.

I hope this is helpful, even if not the answer you were hoping for. If so, please provide a rating so I receive credit for responding to you. Also, feel free to ask follow up questions. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually, Doc Watson recorded the song in 1964. It was also recorded in 1933 by the Delmore Brothers. I also found that Deep River Blues was written by Eddie Green and Lucile ***** *****dy in 1924. My question would be "did they copyright the song and who owns the copyright?"