Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I purchased a domain name back in 2010 and had a logo

Customer Question

I purchased a domain name back in 2010 and had a logo created through a website. As part of that process I had to state what the business would be, target audience etc... I ran into financial difficulties and had to put my plans on hold. I recently found out that another party registered a very similar domain name; they just added a word to the end. They contacted the Graphic Artist who created my logo and asked them to create one for their website going so far as to reference my domain name. I have proof of this in the form of a Facebook posting to the Artist. I’m in a better financial position now and would like to get the business going but I’m concerned the other website is going to cause confusion. I was the first to register the domain and I found no evidence that it was used or referenced for a similar product in the past. They are selling products in area as I stated for the Logo, something which is accessible over the Internet. Is there anything I can do to stop this person from using the domain, especially since I can prove they intended to copy my domain name and sell the same kind of products? They got their website up before I did so I’m concerned they’ll actually be able to turn around and stop me from using mine.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.
It is possible to sue for trademark infringement and cybersquatting for the domain name. Here's a good link you can read:
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.
The only issue you may have is that you haven't used the trademark or logo in commerce, which could hurt your ability to claim infringement or cybersquatting. But, the fact that the other party has attempted to copy your name and mark should help you.