Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Patent Bar Certified

We want to publish an app but want to make sure the person

Customer Question

We want to publish an app but want to make sure the person writing it does not steal it what can we do to protect ourselves?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed IP attorney with over a dozen years of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Very good question, and also a question that many people overlook to their detriment. The answer is quite simply a contract for services with the correct language entered and agreed upon. If the person will not sign your contract, then you find another contractor that will sign it. There are things that you need in your contract for services:- Non-disclosure language that the contractor will not share or in any way disseminate the information that they are made privy to as a result of their work with you. The standard form non-disclosure, confidentiality language is fine in this context;- You need language that specifically states that you have commissioned this work and any and all intellectual property that is derived from this commissioning of services will remain strictly your property and that the contractor is not use make, use or sell any of this work product, finished products or derivative ideas generated therefrom to any third party. Any ideas or intellectual property that is shared with the contractor in view of the commissioning of this work will remain your property and is not to be used or replicated in any way by the contractor;- You then need language that breach of this contract shall result in strict liability for damages, punitive damages, attorney fees by the contractor. You can make this yourself by taking a standard form Non-disclosure agreement and adding the extra IP language. That said, it is worth utilizing a local to you IP firm to draft an agreement. You can view it as an insurance policy. If the contract is breached, you have attorneys familiar with you, your product and the contract ready to pounce if necessary. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings interface on your end. Best wishes going forward and Thank You!
Did you have any additional questions or concerns?
Just checking back with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks