Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Is it possible to patent the interior design of a home? In

Customer Question

Hi, is it possible to patent the interior design of a home? In terms of the way the home automation is setup (lighting, draperies, blinds, audio/video), styling of custom closets, etc.
This question is borne out of a need to ensure the home I'm building within a new subdivision maintains a certain degree of uniqueness from other homes with very similar exteriors.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
it is possible to apply for a design patent to protect the ornamental features of a useful object....such as a building. Ornamental features are features that serve aesthetic purposes and a useful object is simply an object that has an identifiable use. Design patents can be extremely powerful tools that an architect can use to keep imitators away from a valuable design. Design patents can protect the ornamental features of entire buildings.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Here's a link from the USPTO that explains the process: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/iip/pdf/brochure_05.pdf
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.