JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years experience
11068102

My brother wrote a book about his "life" that included many

Customer Question

My brother wrote a book about his "life" that included many names of family and friends without anyone's permission. What can we do about this? Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. If he told the truth then there is nothing that can be done. Many people believe that you have to have permission to use someone else's name in a book or article but that isn't correct. That's how people can write "unauthorized" biographies. However, if the lied about you then he could be sued for slander/libel/defamation.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
You could have a local lawyer write him a letter on the lawyer's letterhead threatening him if he publishes it without your permission but you just have to be aware it is an empty threat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.