PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Our family home educates with a small group of other families.

Customer Question

Our family home educates with a small group of other families. All of us have purchased the same educational material from a certain company. This material is being taught to the students. All of the teaching is voluntary. The company is telling us that we need to be a licensed group under them to use their material. Are we infringing on their copyright if we are not violating what is stated in the front of the books regarding the copyright?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 5 months ago.
No, you are not. There is no law that states that you need to be licensed with a particular company in order to use their material, which is available to the general public. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.