Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law

I still don't know what to do from the very first step with

Customer Question

I still don't know what to do from the very first step with my invention because I don't have something to patent just yet so I don't know whether I should contact a patent attorney all I have is a drawing so I need to know exactly what the very first step I need to take all I have is an idea and a drawing please help
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 5 months ago.
Hello. the key question to ask is what do you need to get your idea "reduced to practice" at least on paper...ask do you need technical/engineering help? or can you figure it out yourself with more time etc? In patent law terms, when you file a patent, you submit drawings and written descriptions outlining and explaining your invention....which is called your "specification"....and the key requirement is that your disclosure must be detailed enough to enable "one of ordinary skill in the art" to make or use your invention. So you need to have enough knowledge about the invention so that when you put that knowledge in the patent application (handled by your patent attorney), a person of ordinary skill in that field can pick up your application and understand what it is about and how to make/use the invention....if it does not meet that standard then the USPTO will reject the patent application.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if I get to ask one more question but if I do how can I find an attorney that is legit?
You want a PTO-registered patent attorney and the vast majority of them will be "legit" so I would not worry too much there, but you want one that specializes in "patent prosecution" and ideally one that has a background in the technical field of your invention....e.g. mechanical engineering if your invention is mechanical (although most patent attorneys can handle simple mechanical patents). You can utilize online directories like that offer some attorney ratings (e.g. )....or check or Those sites all help you find the right attorney in your area, and offer some ratings as well. Most patent attorneys are very capable.
also regarding your other question, please see: