Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

Who do I call If my college film recommends that their students

Customer Question

who do I call If my college film recommends that their students goes on Putlocker or other similar free video streaming sites?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've tried bringing it to the attention of the school by the faculty just talked to my professor and they still recommend that we stream the films we are told to review
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Streaming itself is not illegal. As long as the material stays on the server and is not downloaded, you can do so without violating the law. It becomes illegal if you download or upload copyrighted content and that is where you can be sued and large monetary copyright violation awards can be levied against you. As long as the video or content remains on that site and you are not downloading it, that is legal and if there are any violations it would be on the website, not people who are viewing the content ON THE SITE ITSELF. If anyone downloads the content from the site or uploads to the site, that is where copyright violations occur.