Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law

While a Professor at Colorado State University (1957-1991) I created a

Customer Question

While a Professor at Colorado State University (1957-1991) I created a talk that was given to 3rd graders though "Senior citizenship" levels. In doing so I realized it was desirable to develop a proverb or statement of which all of my talks centered around. I created a certificate that was signed with the statement and encouraged people to frame it hand hang on their wall. I never thought about having it placed in a copy-write mode until today.
My talk includes presentations for students to learn of the professional opportunities available to them in the field of Horticulture.
A national Horticulture organization is creating an initiative to preserve the future of Horticulture and my statement or proverb is an ideal way to help do that, but I want to keep my name on it.
Our family operates a retail greenhouse business as a division of Horticulture Horizons Inc. and we provided workshops on key home owner horticulture needs since the mid 1990's. We have handed out signe
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 5 months ago.
I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your question?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry the page broke down and I was unable to finish the discussion and get to a question... based on what you see, can I still "copy write" the certificate with the statement or proverb on it and the content of my presentation used to acquaint young students and adults with the meaning of horticulture in their lives? The program uses the five senses of man and proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that horticulture is taken for granted or they didn't realize how it is related to their life. The certificate statesHorticulture Your Environment
Next to God, Oxygen, Light, Darkness, Carbon Dioxide and Water,
Horticulture touches the lives of Mankind more than any other facet of
his Environment as he walks through the pathway of life.... and is taken for
granted more than his parents, spouse or children.It is signed long hand over the name Kenneth L. Goldsberry, PhD
Colorado State University Horticulture Department
8 February 1985
I have been asked to work with a national organization that is taking avenues to make everyone, via assorted programs, aware of Horticulture in their life. I want to safeguard my name on the certificate and power point program that goes with it, if possible....... They may want me to record the program using my slides and be a part of their efforts. I guess it would be like Ben Franklin giving a talk, but he didn't have a signed certificate related to the talk. Does the presentation and certificate warrant a "Copy write" label.??I might add that the statement or proverb has never been challenged before or after hearing the program related to it..... by the way.... visit with your wife at the dinner table and ask her how the five senses: See, Taste, Hear, Touch and Smell can be used to prove the statement. Thanks for your assistance. Ken Goldsberry (###) ###-#### ***@******.*** If you want to see me in action in this old age go to: and chose Genealogy Quest TV previews.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This was sent in after talking to your representative they were going to provide it to someone else.... I am awaiting a response of some type... someone has already take the $ and the fellow said there would be no more fees. Ken Goldsberry ***@******.*** or cp(###) ###-####
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have created this certificate and the program, then it had common law copyright status from the time you created it. If you are seeking to file it as a registered copyright you may do so, unless it was created while on the employer's time and was done through your employer in which case your employer, the University, may claim the copyrights as material created in course and scope of your employment with them. When someone creates any intellectual property during employment, the employer has the rights to that work where it is part of the employment of the employee or if it is integrated and used on behalf of the employer.
You said you created this while employed, but was it done for the employer or used on behalf of the employer which would give them a claim. If the answer is no, then you can file to register a copyright and you already have what is called a common law copyright of the material.