Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

This is a copyright trademark question. I am a big Donald

Customer Question

This is a copyright trademark question. I am a big Donald Trump supporter and I have created a Donald Trump For America Fan/Support page on Facebook. It's a passionate audience of all supporters like my self. I now have about 8,000 followers, and now I would like to start marketing Donald Trump For President merchandise to them (in the form first of original design tshirts). I recently paid a design service to create me a totally original tshirt design, which depicts the Words Trump For president in front of a circle that contains a silhouette of an eagle and an american flag, and around the circle the slogan Make America Great Again. I now own the copyright to this design as that was part of what I paid for. Am I doing anything wrong technically by now selling these tshirts, or anything that I can be legally sued for by Donald Trump or his campaign office, etc? I just want to be totally safe before I launch the shirt sales on facebook. Thanks for any help you can give me
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
You need to ensure that slogan is not trademarked by the Trump campaign. You can contact the campaign and ask and seek permission or hire an IP attorney who can do a trademark search. My main concern for you is that the campaign may send a demand stopping you from earning revenue off of their campaign.
If you have written consent from them you should be fine.