Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I am starting an escape room. And I will call the game a generic

Customer Question

I am starting an escape room. And I will call the game a generic name like game Masters lair. No pictures of the room will be used for marketing.
I would like to put posters of Star Wars superheroes Marvel Comics and other Star Wars and Star Trek memorabilia in the room.
These items will be part of the puzzles in the room.
The room will be designed to look like a nerd man cave. And there won't be one brand that will dominate.
Will this violate any copyright?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. No, it would not violate any copyright. This would fall under a second sale doctrine, at best, ***** *****'s really "incidental use". That is, you're not "publishing" or copying the material, but using originals. In short, the display of posters, artwork, etc... publicly would not infringe. Now the use by copying of those images (with or without alteration) could be. But what you've described would not be infringement. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!