Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.

I run an escape room in Richmond VA - an attraction where

Customer Question

I run an escape room in Richmond VA - an attraction where players find clues, solve puzzles and fulfil a mission to escape. Details at ranchise chains an actor "zombie" and lets him out a foot every five minutes until they solve the room. Can I do that with a werewolf if the rest of room is different? Is that different enough? Could I do zombie?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. You can do either or both. Here is why:1) Ideas can not be copyrighted or trademarked. Only the presentation of an idea can be copyrighted or trademarked.2) Certain ideas are considered Public Domain. The idea of Zombies and Werewolves have been in folk lore so long they are both in public domain. What you can not do is take the presentation of those ideas that are under another's trademark. So for example you can do generic zombies, but you probably couldn't call them "Walkers" or otherwise try to connect to the Walking Dead. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you. If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck, Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.