Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law

I am wanting to purchase a domain online but someone has

Customer Question

Hi, I am wanting to purchase a domain online but someone has already taken it. I have owned a jewelry shop on called Kristina&Co since 2011. Another girl opened her Etsy shop in 2014 as KristinaCompany and bought the domain I would like to know if registering my name under the state and/or purchasing a trademark for the name would allow me to take the domain since it's my business name?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 7 months ago.

hello. unfortunately no, domain name registration is first come first served. The only way to get a domain name from someone else other than buying it from them is if they are cybersquatting (which requires a showing of bad faith) or if there is clear trademark infringement. You could hire an attorney to write them a letter etc. but if that doesn't work your options are limited since you would have to sue them which is expensive and it is uncertain whether you would prevail depending on the details.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
maybe my next step should be to contact her and ask if I could purchase the domain from her?

yes that would be the first step and best solution if it works out

also, you could register a very similar domain for yourself, but if your concern if more with their use of the domain then you will want to try to get it