Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I painted a picture and plan to sell it through an art

Customer Question

I painted a picture and plan to sell it through an art gallery. Do I have copyright protection after the sale?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Once you sell the work, unless you sell it with a written agreement, the buyer gets the right to do what they want with the painting as they buy the painting and all rights. You can put on the painting the Copyright symbol and All Rights Reserved and your name and that means you are merely selling them the painting but no rights to reproduce the painting, which is what your copyrights protect. With that notation, they can resell your painting, but cannot copy it or reproduce it in any manner.