Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Patent Bar Certified
12711280

My question is about jewelry copyright practice. I have

Customer Question

My question is about jewelry copyright practice. I have created a jewelry piece that can best imagined as a representation of our solar system sun and planets. Each planet is oriented within a circular orbit around the sun. In the original piece, lets say the innermost planet is at 9 O'clock orientation to the sun. The second planet is about at 1 O'clock, the third planet at 6 O'clock etc. If I want to make variant jewelry pieces where the design concept is identical but the planets are at different orientations than the original. So lets say in the second piece, the inner most planet is rotated around its orbit and is now at 2 O'clock, the second planet is now at 5 O'clock etc. So nothing has changed in the pieces that make up the jewelry piece but they are just oriented differently. If I wanted to protect this concept, could I just copyright the original piece, or would I have to register each version of the piece as a derivative of the original. Would there be a lot of cost to register every possible orientation combination that I come up with? I hope this question makes sense. Thank you
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed IP attorney with over a decade of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Unfortunately, for the best protection, you would need to register each separate piece or variant. A copyright is very specific as to the item that is copyrighted, relative to a design. As such, I think it would be in your best interest to copyright each piece.

That said, the US Copyright Office has made copyrighting an item very easy. You can file each item on-line and the filing fee per item is only about $35. You first register with the US Copyright Office online and then you run with it from there. The application process walks you through each step and it take less than 30 minutes per item. The Office will notify you if there are any issues and allow you to correct them. They will then normally issue the copyright within 3 to 6 months from the date of filing.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively (Three or More Stars) so I can receive credit for my response - otherwise I will receive no credit.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking in this morning to see if you had any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this issue. Thanks