Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I am creating a wedding book. I have a competitor who makes

Customer Question

Hello, I am creating a wedding book. I have a competitor who makes baby books. Her baby book cover has similar colors and floral placements but they are different. I want to make sure that I am not going to get sued for copyright. Thanks!
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are not copying her book itself and your book is similar, what the court's will do is look at them side by side and under copyright law this is a subjective determination as to similarity. So I would suggest to you that you NOT use similar colors and floral placements, change it up because the less similarity, the less likelihood a judge would say there is infringement. Copyright is not an exact science under the law, so if you are already saying you have similar colors and floral placements, it is on you to change that up so they do not look similar when viewed side by side.