Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

Sir, I am in the process of making a audio drama that is

Customer Question

Sir, I am in the process of making a audio drama that is based of a novel I am currently writing. I have not completed my novel and the audio drama is in the beginning stages of production. Are both works as a whole eligible for copyright?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

hello. yes, each would be covered by its own copyright, which arises automatically upon creation of the work...BUT for stronger protection, you should definitely register the copyrights for each once they are complete, it is a fairly easy and cheap process...only about $40 fee per registration and you can file online at www.copyright.gov

Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

there are numerous benefits to registration....for example, in order to file a copyright lawsuit, or get statutory damages (no need to prove damages), the works must be registered.