Kendell Kelly, Esq
Kendell Kelly, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer practicing in all areas of intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and new media.
72980900

How do i check if a film (produced in the early 60's) is

Customer Question

How do i check if a film (produced in the early 60's) is still under copyright if the production company went out of business in the mid 70's? I recently purchased the directors estate and found the obscure film i'd like to re release..
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Kendell! Happy to help! Please remember that this is a tool for information only, we cannot give you legal advice and thus cannot tell you what to do or not (since that is prohibited).This should not be considered a attorney-client relationship. Also, please reserve your feedback until we have fully answered your question -- I will stick with you until we do.

If the film was produced (and published/screened/viewed) in the early 60's it is definitely still under copyright. A work that was created prior to 1978 could have a term of as long as the life of the author + 120 years. However, if the underlying script is older, it is possible that script could have an expired copyright.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, thanks, ***** ***** I have to find out who owns the rights and try to get them transfer'd.

No problem! Happy to help!! You should also check for any copyright transfer or work for hire agreements that may exist in the estate documentation.

Please let me know if you have additional questions in the future. Also, if you need help in the process, there is the ability to work offline.

______________________

Use of this service does not create an attorney-client relationship. Inasmuch, our conversation is merely informational and should be used to find an attorney licensed in your local area that can further assist you.