N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

An artist I know created a piece over 12 years ago. The same

Customer Question

An artist I know created a piece over 12 years ago. The same basic piece is now being used as the logo for a tour by one of the largest rock bands of all time. The artist had allowed some companies that manufacture window stickers in the past but was unaware of the bands use of her art in their tour logo until it was readily available for viewing. Not sure if she has a copyright on the art but she is devastated that her work is being used without any recognition or compensation being offered. No attempts were made to determine the original artist prior to its use by the band. Does she have any recourse?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

The answer is Yes.

She owns the copyright but she should register it, which she can do on line, see

http://copyright.gov/eco/

She can then send a demand letter or sue for infringement. The remedies available for infringement are much better if the copyright is registered.

She can get a free consultation from some of the copyright attorneys listed by location here.

I hope this information is helpful.