Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I have copies of photos (5) taken of a pro boxing match at

Customer Question

I have copies of photos (5) taken of a pro boxing match at the Olympic Auditorium, on or about June 27 1977, by and between Billy Gray and Alfredo Gonzalez, that also shows Referee Lou Filippo and Ring Announcer Jimmy Lennon. And, the double-knockdown that occurred during that fight in the third round. The Referee and the Ring Announcer, along with the real double-knockdown were featured in the major motion picture "Rocky II," written and enacted by Sylvester Stallione. "Rocky II, to date, has grossed more than $200,184,162.00 at the box office. The copyright notice on my script is dated 1980 PAu-297-267, and at that time represented by The Wilhelmina Agency, via my Agent John Forse at that time. Do we have a legitimate claim, as a true event, taken without our written permission, as precisely depicted, with half the original participates in the film? Thank you for your attention.
Billy Gray
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, your only claim in a real life event is a copyright of the photo you created. Any recreation or reenactment of a live or real event is a new work, since you do not have copyrights over the event itself. You took photos of the event that anyone could have taken the same photos of the same event they were watching (happens all the time where multiple photographers take photos of the same event occurring). You nor any of the other photographers have copyrights on the event itself, just your photographs that you took (and it is realistic that each photo taken by a different photographer of the event could look the same or substantially similar).