Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I want to know if there any legalities using a business name

Customer Question

Hi I want to know if there any legalities using a business name that's has one of the two words as a movie . So my business is called (tron technology ) and there was a movie called tron once so just wanna make sure it's okay and I can still make my company around this name ?Thanks
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is called derivative use and it depends on whether or not the name is trademarked. So for example, Tron would be trademarked so would Star Wars and for you to call your business Star Wars Computing or Tron Technology would be a derivative use of another party's trademark and they can sue you for doing so and make you stop.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it doesn't matter which groups the name is ***** ***** and wether the new name is ***** ***** all ? Because here tron trademark details and non are similar to what my classes will be as we are software and technology company . https://trademarks.justia.com/778/59/tron-legacy-77859443.html
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also there are many registered trademarks with word (tron ) been registered after the tron legacy and I'm guessing this is because they are probably in none of the classes which legally has been registered ???
Thank you for your reply.
As long as it is not legally registered in your class and it does not conflict with another business name, you can use it in your name.