Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I needed to find out if I can use the "Toulouse" as part of

Customer Question

I needed to find out if I can use the "Toulouse" as part of my business name. I wanted to name my business Toulouse Fine Art Portraiture to denote the uniqueness and artistry of my photographic work. I searched the county DBA and this name is ***** ***** the Austin, TX area. But my confusion due to the US Copyright database. I searched the US copyright database and found *so* many with the copyright of just Toulouse (no other addition to the business name), registered by multiple companies, registered in multiple years (some had 3 in one year by different businesses). Please advise if I can use the name or if I shouldn't due to being susceptible to problems with it?
thank you,
Teodora Pogonat
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The name "Toulouse" is a proper name, which is why you see so many registrations under the name. So you trying to register it for your business of Toulouse Fine Arts would be permissible and you are free to do so.