Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

Regarding intellectual property.. trade .. I applied trade

Customer Question

Regarding intellectual property.. trade mark.. I applied for a trade mark back in 2013 in my research I discovered it was classified as abandoned I discovered at the same time that someone else applied for the same mark in 2015.. Am I dead in the waters without any recourse ?..
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

hello. if you have been continuously using the mark in commerce then you have common law TM rights and can continue using the mark (unless someone else has a mark that is confusingly similar and has been using the ***** *****er than you). however, although you have been using the ***** *****er, that does not mean that someone else cannot register the mark....so while you may be able to keep using the mark, you cannot necessarily stop a registered user from using it or invalidate their TM. You should keep an eye on that application and see what happens. You could file a TM opposition but that is an expensive process similar to a small lawsuit. also, if the application is in a different class of goods/services, then you can still apply for the TM if the goods/services are not too close. I suggest you consult a TM attorney for next steps....because there are a lot of potential considerations here.