Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

, I have a website, and provide free e books download

Customer Question

Customer: Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a website, and provide free e books download And i am not quite sure whether it is legal or not in USA
JA: OK got it. Last thing — IP Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

hello. what aspect of the free ebook download are you concerned about not being legal? Do you own the copyright to the books or have a license to sell the ebooks from the copyright holder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just downloaded the book from the Internet. Some of the website provide free download, such as google e-booksI intended to share those books on my website. Is it OK?
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

You would have to check the license information on the items that you want to share, it is up to the own and if they want they can state that the ebooks are free to download and share (i.e. no restrictions)...or they may place certain restrictions on them. These ebooks would be protected by copyright normally but its ultimately up to the copyright owner...if they want to give permissions/licenses they can (or just place it in public domain)..so the short answer is that you need to check/confirm because being able to download something (for free) does not necessarily mean that you can offer it for download yourself.