Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I reside in Canada and I received an allegation of copyright

Customer Question

I reside in Canada and I received an allegation of copyright infringement notice from my ISP regarding an illegal download from a U.S. site. If I pay the settlement claim will it mean an admission of guilt with a potential law suit to follow?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. No. A settlement is contractual, so it's waiving their right to sue. But even then, in every state, and in Federal law, settlement negotiations and payments of settlements are not admissions of liability, so any offer or actual payment can't be used to show that you feel that you have liability. Settlements are often done so that you can avoid the expense of court. It's not because you feel that you are "guilty".

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank-you for your prompt and expert opinion. I now have the confidence in my decision to properly conclude this unfortunate incident.

My pleasure. Do you see where you can rate this answer?

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.