Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

My name is ***** *****. I infringe on Disney trademark with

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I infringe on Disney trademark with some tee shirts on my website. They asked for all paypal records from certain dates of which I complied. However, yesterday they sent me a settlement agreement of 35,000 of which I nowhere near made that much from them..What should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What else would you like to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — IP Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

hello. sorry to hear this. you should respond by telling them that you do not have that kind of money and that your sales were far less than that amount, in fact your profit was only $XXX....and then for example, you can offer to give them all your profits as settlement, which is a reasonable resolution. in many of these cases, the IP owner does not want the hassle of a lawsuit (and is not willing to file one) and they just want some easy money, so your best bet is probably to negotiate on the settlement amount. once you have an monetary offer on the table, they will be hard pressed to refuse it and file a lawsuit (they may act like it is not enough and threaten to sue, but chances are that is a bluff and they will accept considerably less than $35,000).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you think they will take payments on this?

yes that is done in many cases, its all up for negotiation

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Was it a bad thing for me to give them my whole paypal record? Did they have a right to ask for this?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you there??

there is no "right" here, it is a negotiation at this point.....you are not obligated to do anything. it might have been a bad idea before getting some assurances from them, but its okay because you would need to give them that info anyway to prove how much you sold and get a settlement

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks

best of luck

please rate my service so that I get credit, thanks!