Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

If I translate a book into braile (with the permission of

Customer Question

if I translate a book into braile (with the permission of the author) , do I own the copyright to the braille version and can I register it with the US Copyright office?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

That's a very good question. "True" translations which require editorial input (that is, for example, a translation from French to English, where every word doesn't have a 100% identical counterpart and discretion is needed to choose the appropriate word / phrasing for any given sentence) are copyrightable. So even if a work is outside of copyright (think old greek myths, which are in themselves public domain) the translation could still be copyrighted.

Braille, on the other hand, is a reproduction / conversion of the book into a different format. It's the same letters, wording, phrasing, etc... rather than using editorial discretion in choosing which different words are used to convey a meaning that doesn't necessarily translate. So a Braille conversion / reproduction of a work is not copyrightable in and of itself. Now if the work was in a different language and you translated it in your mind prior to reducing it to Braille, that would be copyrightable (as it would be a true translation). But without translation from another language, it would just be a conversion / reproduction, and would not be copyrightable as a new work.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Hello? Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see you have not responded in some time. Did you wish to continue with this question? Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?