Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I am a 23 year old student whom has reported an employer old

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 23 year old student whom has reported an employer for charging old interns £300 for a reference. Since I reported the employer I have been heavily harassed.
One part of the harassment is the creation of a website on Wordpress with images of myself on them, stating that I am a nazi, IS member and a bunch of other horrible things.
I need this website taken down ASAP. It has my images that he stole on there so I think it is in breach of copyright, is this true? if so how do I deal with it? I have contact wordpress, but they are taking very long to reply.
The website is: https://therealshoutoutuk.wordpress.com
Please help!
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is not breach of copyright unless they are using a photograph you took and belonging to you. If so, then you would have to sue for a copyright violation in the US.
However, what this is would be defamation/slander/libel and also a violation of the common law tort of false light. So you do have a legal action you can file against them to get this removed and also get money damages from them for their DISGUSTING conduct. You would need an attorney in the US in the state/city where they are located to sue them, but based on what I saw on that site you do indeed have a case and you should get a US attorney where the company is located to sue them and you can do so at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com and you would use a civil law or general litigation attorney.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the answer. So would i sue wordpress? The harrasser that made the website is in the UK. does that matter?Also, I am a student, hence I do not have the money to do this. Would I be able to find a lawyer that would do it for a no win no fee set up?

Thank you for your reply.

If the person who made the site is in the UK, then you can sue them in the UK and do not have to sue them in the US and you can find local legal representation there in the UK to deal with them under the UK laws and get the UK court to order the take down.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But there is no evidence to link the person to the website.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know it is him because of when the website went up and other harassment, but it would be hard to prove this to the court no?
If you know it is him, you would need to be able to show the court how you know it is him. If you cannot show it is him, wordpress is not liable, but you can subpoena them and find out who set up the site and trace it back to the person who is liable