Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I am looking into the possibility of purchasing the

Customer Question

Customer: I am looking into the possibility of purchasing the copy-write to an out of print book, the author has passed away
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Intellectual Property Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 11 months ago.

Hello what is your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A book that is out of print has the copy write attributed to the author who has now passed. Is it possible to purchase a copy write or how can you find out who holds it after the author has passed and it is out of print?

copyrights generally last for the life of the author + 70years. Being out of print does not affect the copyright. Usually if the author is deceased the copyright would pass to their estate or family members, so you will have to do a bit of research and contact their estate/family to see who exactly has the copyright and go from there. you could also contact the previous publisher to see if they know who currently owns the copyright.