Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I received a CEG-TEK DMCA notice saying I was in a copyright

Customer Question

I received a CEG-TEK DMCA notice saying I was in a copyright infringement. I was afraid and paid 900 dollars to them and revealed my information. What should I do if them want to charge more and sent other invoice? Thanks a lot
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 11 months ago.

hello. CEG-TEK are a well known copyright enforcement agency. I have not heard of them trying to charge more/additional amounts. however, if there is a separate copyright infringement then that could be treated separately, otherwise they would not have grounds to seek more money and if they did you could ignore them. When you pay them there should be some kind of written agreement they give you, and it should say something to the effect that it settles all matters against you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If there is a separate copyright infringement from them. Can I just ignore it?

well if you infringe something in the future then that will be a separate matter. settlements only cover past infringement but they do not give you a license to infringe in the future.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Will I be sued if I didn't pay for the settlement?

it is highly unlikely that you will be sued over such a small amount at issue....but the higher the amount demanded (greater the infringement) then more likely there could be a lawsuit

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks

best of luck, please rate me thanks