Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I have a question about music publishing. My wife is a

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a question about music publishing. My wife is a recording artist and she was signed a deal stating there is no up front fee but, she gets 100% percent of her publishing. Unfortunately, the split was never determined because more artists were assigned to the song. Now the project was supposed to be released internationally. Then the producer who put the project together sold the album to a one time buyer for an undisclosed amount. When we asked the producer about my wifes' fee her said she would be entitled to 10 cents since the music was not released to the public and only a one time sale. The sale of the album we believe to be in the millions. What we would like to know is, is she really only entitled to 10 cents if the album was sold for millions? Is she entitled to anything? Is the paperwork null and void since there was a misrepresentation about how the project was going to be sold?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What specifically does the contract say about transfer of the contract or sale?
You do mean 10 PERCENT, correct?
Was there misrepresentation in the contract itself or did the sale violate the contract?