Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I've written a story book of a town with a population of

Customer Question

I've written a history book of a town with a population of 2000 people. There are chapters of various activities as farming. The history covers activities from 1854-1955. In the farming chapter, dates and changes in farming methods are listed. This information was taken from the internet but not necessarily verbatim and does not exceed one page in the book. The rest of the chapter consists of newspaper articles as they appeared in date order. The newspaper name and date are listed for each article. The newspaper articles cover the time thru 1955. There are several chapters which follow the same pattern as farming i.e. schools and fire department.
One chapter describes activities of early French explorers in opening the area. The information is a combination of material from 3-4 sources and does not exceed 1/2 page.
The information was not copied directly from any one article but was rewritten for the book.
Do you see copyright problems for me? I expect to sell 250 copies to current and former residents of the town with no wide distribution.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
People read all sorts of information from various sources. If you wrote this from your own interpretation of the information and are not copying it word for word from other articles, then you are not violating any copyrights. It it was written in your own words, no copyright violations should be involved from the information you read online. The newspaper articles, you need to check with the newspaper about reproducing their articles, because they could still have copyrights on some of those and you would need to permission of the paper.